Coin battle of Smolensk
|Художник аверса||E. V. Kramskaya|
|Sculptor||A. I. Molostov|
|Художник реверса||L. A. Evdokimova|
|Period||Russian Federation (1997-...)|
|Release date||September 1, 2012|
|Weight||6 г .|
|Diameter||25 мм .|
|Thickness||1.8 мм .|
|Series||Battles and significant events the war of 1812 and foreign campaigns of the Russian Army 1813-1814|
|Metal||Nickel Plated Steel|
|Edge||Ribbed with smooth sections (12 sections on the 5 reefs)|
The beginning of the battle of Smolensk considered 16.08.1812, when the corps of General Rajewski tied defensive battle on the approaches to Smolensk. 13 thousand soldiers, who were led by the famous general, repulsed the attack of the enemy vanguard in the 22 thousand soldiers.
By the end of the day of the August 16 120 thousand. Soldiers Russian first and second armies reached the northern boundaries of Smolensk. Chief of the united army of Barclay de Tolly, studying the enemy forces decided to challenge the Second Army on the road, going to Moscow. First Army, in which the number of housing Dokhturov, divisional and force Konovnitsyn Neverovsky, was ordered to defend Smolensk and Dnieper bridge.
The next day, August 17, the French began fighting shelling Smolensk. They failed to break down the walls of the ancient Russian fortresses, but in the city sparked fires. The refugees threw the flaming house. Napoleon's troops were several assault attacks, but Smolensk and strategically important bridge across the Dnieper River withstood the onslaught of the enemy. Late at night on August 17 Russian left the city burnt and destroyed the Dnieper bridge. They awaited connection with the forces of the Second Army.
In the center - the denomination of the coin in two lines: "5 РУБЛЕЙ", below - the inscription: "БАНК РОССИИ", under it - the year of issue "2012", the left and right - the stylized branch plants, right at the edge - the trademark of the coin yard.
In the center - the relief image of the monument to the heroes of the Patriotic War of 1812, along the edge along the rim - inscriptions, separated by two points at the top, "СМОЛЕНСКОЕ СРАЖЕНИЕ", at the bottom: "ОТЕЧЕСТВЕННАЯ ВОЙНА 1812 ГОДА".