|Sculptor||E. I. Novikova|
|Artist||E. A. Chesakov|
|Period||Russian Federation (1997-...)|
|Release date||December 25, 2008|
|Weight||8.4 г .|
|Diameter||27 мм .|
|Thickness||2.1 мм .|
|Series||The ancient cities of Russia|
|Metal||Bi-metal (Ring - brass, disk - Melchior)|
|Edge||Ribbed with the inscription (300 corrugations and two inscriptions "10 РУБЛЕЙ", separated by two asterisks)|
Smolensk, as the city has existed for more than ten centuries, that allows us to speak of it as of the oldest Russian settlement. Scientists offer several versions of how the name was. Some historians correlate the name with the name of Smolensk Smolnya river, others are turning to the Old Slavic name of black earth - "pitch". But the most recognized version associated with the ancient way of the Slavs "from the Vikings to the Greeks." Smolensk in this direction took place where the ship ended perevolakivanie from the Western Dvina to the Dnepr. The bottoms of ships on land after such a journey had to be sure prosmolit that served local craftsmen smolokury.
The convenient geographical location has given the necessary impetus for its rapid transformation into the capital of the principality of Smolensk. At the turn of the 12-13 th centuries it was superior to all the cities of Russia in the number of stone buildings. Dynasty Rostislav, prince here more than once occupied the throne of Kiev.
In 1232, the year the city passed into the possession of Prince Svyatoslav Polotsk. And although during the invasion of the Horde itself Smolensk was not injured, but he owned land has been looted. There was a time of decline. The city began to lose its power and importance in the Russian state, passing under the power and influence of Duchy of Lithuania. Only in 1514, the year Smolensk was returned to the Moscow principality and became a Russian city.
In the early 17th century Smolensk won again, and now goes under the rule of Poland. However, the power of the Commonwealth of the city does not last long, he again returned to the Russian government in 1654, the year. There comes a time of relative calm, destroyed buildings are restored, closed institutions are returning to work, continued economic development.
In the center - the designation value of the coin "10 РУБЛЕЙ". Inside of the figure "0" - hidden, visible by turns on changing angle of view of the image numbers "10" and the inscription "РУБ". In the lower part of the disc - the mint trademark. The top of the ring along the rim - the inscription: "БАНК РОССИИ", at the bottom - the date "2008" on the left and the right - stylized twigs of plants going over to the disc.
In the center - the Kremlin, at the top of the left - the coat of arms of the city of Smolensk, on the right - the Assumption Cathedral, in a circle on the ring - the inscription: at the top - "ДРЕВНИЕ ГОРОДА РОССИИ", at the bottom - "СМОЛЕНСК".